Joseph Billing began his career in the monument industry at the age of 14 in New Market, Ontario. He apprenticed under a Scottish stone cutter/memorialist for 7 years. Joseph first set up his memorial business in Morden, Mb. in 1894. From Morden, he went to Grafton, N.D., back to Ontario, finally settling in Carman, Mb. in 1920. He took over the Carman memorial business in 1922 from his uncle, Howard Patchell who had purchased it from Alec McIntyre.
Joseph continued to operate Carman Granite until 1946, when his eyesight became too poor to continue. His son, Howard Billing, joined him that year and purchased the business in 1947. Howard ran the business in its original location in downtown Carman until 1975. However after being flooded 8 times in 11 years (the last being the major town flood of 1974) the vacant Carman Creamery building was purchased & moved to our present location, 1 km south of Carman.